Total views : 90
Open Ended Quizzes - A Strategy to Enhance Critical Thinking of Student in Engineering Education
During the traditional teaching instructor use the quiz, such as multiple choice questions or peer instructions, in which while attempting the quiz students' memorize questions, answers and formulae. With this, students will not get depth knowledge of the concept and will not be able to solve similar kind of problems. We used Open-ended quiz strategy (Madison (1995)) followed by traditional teaching. The open-ended quiz proposed to motivate students' creativity and to guide students to think deeply about the material covered in lectures. The goal of our presented work is to make students think genuinely about the concept. This will assist students to solve problems that do not specify all the information that is needed to arrive at the answer.We have implemented open-ended quiz for Second Year students of Electronics engineering while teaching Analog Communication course. This method helped students to gain conceptual knowledge and increases problem solving and analysing ability.
Open-Ended Quiz, Analog Communication, Active Learning, Effective Teaching, Outcome Based Education.
- Strategies for Effective Teaching A Handbook for Teaching Assistants University of Wisconsin – Madison, (1995)
- Damodharan, V. S. & Rengarajan, V., Innovative Methods of Teaching. Retrieved from:http://math.arizona.edu/~atp-mena/conference/proceedings/Damodharan_Innovat ive_Methods.pdf (12/12/2012)
- Draper S.W.: "The role of open ended observation in evaluation", Department of Psychology University of G l as gow, http://www.psy.gla.ac.uk/~steve/deval/oeo.html, (1997)
- R.Murphy & H.Torrance (eds.) Evaluating education: issues and methods (Milton Keynes: Open University Press) ch.1.4 pp.57-73(1987)
- Boulmalf M., Semmar Y., Lakas A., and Shuaib K.: “Teaching Digital and Analog Modulation to Undergraduate Information Technology Students Using Matlab and Simulink”, IEEE EDUCON Education Engineering 2010 - The Future of Global Learning Engineering Education, April 14-16 2010, Madrid, SPAIN