Total views : 88
Open Education Resource: An Effective ICT Tool for Engineering Education
Digital Systems can be designed using Hardware Descriptive Languages. Digital System Design is one of core subject for fifth semester students of Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering, Siddaganga Institute of Technology, Tumakuru. Outcome Based Education is the main objective of curriculum. The outcome of course was, at the end of the course students were able to write code in VHDL for any given digital system, simulate on Xylinx CAD tool and Implement on Spartan 3 FPGA kit. To support the students, to enhance the skills and share their work, an Open Education Resource(OER) with name digital system design blog at WordPress was created. This platform helps students and teaching community associated with digital system design course. The platform includes blog and pages. The blog gives brief introduction about the course. The pages are dedicated to theory, lab, question bank, students' assignment, videos and Feedback page. All of their work was shared on WordPress platform digital system design blog. This covered the maximum examples from the course which was very helpful to students. This Open Education Resources is licensed under Creative Commons licence CC-BY-SA4.0. The videos created in YouTube are also under Creative Commons license. So anybody can share, redistribute and modify the work for further improvement. Creating an Open Education Resource for outcome based subject enables new blended teaching methods to be adopted in engineering education.WordPress is the one of the free resource that can be effectively utilized as platform to share the resource at global level. The survey was conducted among the students of fifth semester and they found that videos were very useful. The feedbacks reflected that website can improved with subjective and objective quizzes.
Question Bank, OER, Digital System Design, VHDL,Creative Commons License, Videos.
- Donald Heer, Roger L. Traylor, Tom Thompson, and Terri S. Fiez, "Enhancing the Freshman and Sophomore ECE Student Experience Using a Platform for Learning", IEEE Transactions on Education, Vol. 46, No. 4, Nov. 2003.
- Wang Lixun 1 , " Designing and Implementing Outcome-Based Learning in a Linguistics Course: a Case Study in Hong Kong ", International Conference on Education and Education Psychology 2010
- A. Masni-Azian, A. Rahimah, "Towards OBE: A Case Study of Course Outcome (CO) and Programme Outcome (PO) Attainment for Product Design and Development Course”, IOSR Journal of Research & Method; in Education, Vol. 4, 2, 5561, 2014
- Nesimi Ertugrul,” New Era in Engineering Experiments: an Integrated and Interactive Teaching/Learning Approach, and Real-Time Visualisations”, Int. J. Engng Ed. Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 344-355, 1998.
- Shrinivas A. Patil , Saurabh R. Prasad, “Innovative Methods of Teaching & Learing Electronics Engineering”, special issue 2016.
- M. Sirigiri and S. D. Rajan , “AFlipped Classroom Approach to Teaching Engineering Mechanics Courses”, Volume 28, Issue 4, April 2015.
- S. A. Halkude and Sunita M. Dol, “An Active Learning Strategy Think-Pair-share to Teach Engineering Courses”, Special Issue, January 2015.
- D. Ajay Kumar, V. Umadevi, “Effective ICT Tools for Course Management”, Special Issue, January 2015.